Friday, June 27, 2008

Land, Water, and the Future of the West

Crossing the Next Meridian: Land, Water, and the Future of the West Crossing the Next Meridian: Land, Water, and the Future of the West by Charles F. Wilkinson


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Charles Wilkinson is a professor of Law at the University of Colorado. I got this book from the clearance table at my law school (located in California!!!!). Shameful. Every law student should read this book, as well as anyone interested in land and water use policy and outcomes.



Professor Wilkinson, a splendid writer, tells the story of how the laws governing land and water use in the West have given rise to poor policies and poor outcomes for the health and survival of the region.



After reading it, I felt that I had a beginner's grasp of the problems created by current laws. I also felt that the laws on the books will not be favorably altered in my lifetime. Our solution to that problem? Start relocalizing all of the resources we can relocalize, especially in view of the increasing costs for energy.



The serious problems for the West in terms of pollution, conservation, and poor water policy can be managed, but the solutions will come from the grassroots, not Congress or the Executive Branch.

Professor Wilkinson, a prolific author with an engaging style, has also written on Native American law and in many other related areas.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Followers